Friday, July 6, 2012

The Education of a Coach

When it comes to coaching football, my philosophy of the game and how it should be played has been derived from my experiences playing/working under two coaches.

The first was my high school coach. He was spreading the field, running multiple formations with shifts and motion a long time before it was en vogue at the college level. He is a run and shoot guy and a big fan of Houston Gamblers. During his tenure at my alma matter he has become the winningest coach in school history, won a plethora of playoff games, and has had numerous all-state quarterbacks running his system. 

The other coach shaped me perhaps more than any other, and that is my father. I was fortunate enough to coach under him at the middle school level for two seasons. He is an old-school smash-mouth football guy. Before he handed the reigns of the offense over to me my second year with him the offense revolved around FB dive, a counter off the dive, a double ISO, and a toss sweep play. Throw in a few gadget plays and play action and you have his offense. Did I mention all of this was ran out of a double tight I formation or wishbone?

I spent my first season with him as a DC running a base 5-3 but also being able to get into a 4-4 and 6-2 without changing personnel. The second season I moved over to the offense where I was spoiled to death with some of the fastest middle school kids I have ever seen. I had one back average 44 yards per carry on the season (seriously)! Needless to say, that season my dad won his first league championship and I am so glad I got to be a part of it. There will be a post in the near future on coaching under my dad.

I have been lucky enough to coach with some great people along the way that have all been gracious enough to share their knowledge with me. Along the way I have also worked in a college setting putting together scouting reports and breaking down film, coached quarterbacks and running backs in a split back veer offense, and I am now taking over as the offensive line coach at a large inner city school where we will be a five wide no-huddle offense.

 I am very excited about taking on this new position and have been fortunate enough to have spent some time talking with some very knowledgable coaches about the nuances of coaching the offensive line. I was in dire need of chatting with those guys because while I understand blocking schemes, the technique involved has been foreign to me speaking with them.

Looking ahead to the season I am excited to be coaching a new position group in a large school setting. It will be an adventure. 

No comments:

Post a Comment